Longwood Foundation History
The Longwood Foundation was founded in 1937 by Pierre S. du Pont, initially to support the operation of Longwood Gardens and the funding of various community projects. Mr. du Pont’s personal philanthropy long preceded the formation of the Foundation.
Due to tax law changes from the Tax Reform Act of 1969, a new private operating foundation, “Longwood Gardens, Inc.,” was formed specifically to handle operations of Longwood Gardens. The Longwood Foundation remains in existence as a private non-operating foundation, to support principally charitable organizations.
100 West 10th Street, Suite 1109, Wilmington, DE 19801
Longwood Foundation, Inc.