Longwood Foundation Grant Request Guidelines
The Foundation accepts grant requests from non-profit organizations located in and/or benefiting the residents, environment, or culture of Delaware and southern Chester County in Pennsylvania.
We are looking for investments that will accelerate a non-profit towards success. As recently as five years ago, our grants were exclusively capital ones. We no longer make the type of funding a “bright line” in our decision process. We now start with the applicant’s definition and measurement of success and their plans to get there. We are open to both capital and operating funds as needed in all requests.
The Foundation runs Information Sessions in the three months prior to each deadline. While these are not required of every applicant, we encourage you to attend one – particularly if this is your first time applying to the Foundation. We limit attendance to two representatives per organization. Our preference is to have both the leader and the Board Chair. If that’s not possible, one of the two attendees must be either the leader or the Board Chair. Space is limited. If need be, we will prioritize those organizations planning to apply in the next grant cycle ahead of those looking to future cycles.
Your decision to participate or not will not effect our grant decision. The only way to hurt your chances of success in the grant request is to sign up for the Information Session and attend without completing the required homework.
Our deadlines for grant requests are March 1 and September 1, (but we encourage you to submit your request earlier if it is ready). Our review of all grant requests will include an interview and/or site visit within eight weeks of the deadline. Please plan on including your organization’s leader and Board Chair in this. Funding decisions are generally made by the Foundation's Board within 3 months. The Trustees ask that you wait 2 years before requesting another grant - whether this request is funded or not. Please do not submit any grant requests via an email to a staff member.
All requests must be submitted online. When you have gathered the required information, click on APPLY. The first time you apply, you will be prompted to create a login ID and password before proceeding with your request. In addition to answering the series of questions in the online application, there are required attachments. You will see these as you progress through the application process.
The following materials should accompany your specific request for support prior to one of those dates:
1. Background information with regard to your organization’s history including the services you provide, demographics you serve and details regarding programs offered, (limit one paragraph). 2. Description of the two or three most impactful outcomes your organization is working to create. Please discuss how the proposed grant would improve your ability to create these outcomes. Please show your progress against them over the last 2 years-showing expected results if the grant request is filled or not. We understand that some of
your outcomes are qualitative, but expect that others can be quantified.
3. Please provide a cash flow projection for the next two years.
Please provide details of the project such as: the scope of the project, construction/renovation costs for a capital request, equipment costs,
a list of all funds in hand to date for it, as well as others being solicited for support.
1. A list of your Board of Directors and Advisory Committees.
2. An independent audit or annual report which provides information about your organization’s financial health and covers
the most recent two years.
3. A copy of your organization’s 501(c)(3) letter from the IRS (tax exempt letter).
We will confirm receipt of your grant request immediately automatically. If you do not receive immediate confirmation
please contact us to make sure it was received.
100 West 10th Street, Suite 1109, Wilmington, DE 19801
The Longwood Foundation, Inc.
PLEASE NOTE GRANT APPLICATION DEADLINES:
March 1st & September 1st